Oils of various plant origin are a powerful and safe solution for hair restoration. They are completely natural and, unlike commercially available conditioners and hair masks, have no components that could harm. It is important though to choose the right oil suitable for your hair type.
The benefits of plant oils
Plant oils are made from fruits and kernels of oil containing plants, nuts or processed vegetable materials with high oil content. The benefits of oils depend on the manufacturing processes. Cold press extraction allows preserving all useful substances:
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 (polyunsaturated fatty acids);
- squalane (polyunsaturated carbon);
- vitamins K, D, E, A.
These useful substances are found in all plant oils obtained by cold press process.
Types of plant oils
- Sunflower. Number one for the amount of vitamin E it contains. It is a popular base for hair care masks. It restores the structure of damaged hair, heals inflammation, and moisturizes the scalp.
- Olive. “All purpose oil”. It stimulates hair growth and prevents its early loss, has anti-inflammatory and disinfectant action.
- Linseed. It is a valuable source of vitamin F and other useful nutrients. It accelerates the growth of hair, restores hair follicles, fights dandruff.
- Mustard. It kills bacteria, therefore, it is effective in the treatment of dandruff and seborrhea. It is suitable for hair prone to oiliness, as it stimulates the activity of sebaceous glands and accelerates hair growth.
- Burdock. Successfully copes with hair loss and increased oiliness. As part of the comprehensive hair masks, it enhances the effectiveness of other ingredients.
- Castor. It slows the aging process, softens the hair, stimulates its growth, looks after the scalp.
- Coconut. It is well absorbed deep into the structure of the hair and scalp. It protects hair from heat, wind, sun and frost. It is ideal when used on dyed hair, it has nourishing and hydrating properties.
- Argan. One of the most expensive oils. It normalizes metabolism, making hair more manageable, soft and smooth.
- Apricot. It soothes sensitive scalp, moisturizes and nourishes the weakened hair, restores the vitality of damaged hair.
- Avocado oil. It contains large amounts of lecithin, which restores dry and brittle hair.
- Jojoba oil. Natural protein cocktail, which protects hair from damage caused by dyes and aggressive styling products. It is suitable for oily hair.
- Wheat germ oil. Excellent remedy for split ends. It is a great ingredient of multi-component formulations designed for the hair treatment.
- Grape seed oil. The source of vitamins A and E. It accelerates the regeneration process, cures damaged hair, it makes it look great, bouncy and shine.
- Sea buckthorn. It strengthens the roots and accelerates hair growth, it revives dry hair and fixes the problem of split ends.
- Almond. It contains the whole range of vitamin B, as well as E and F. It improves the condition of dry hair without making it look heavy.
All of these oils are suitable when used as a base. They can be used as the main care ingredients or to be diluted with essential oils. Keep in mind that it is not recommended to use pure essential oils directly on hair.
Before buying some oil, read the list of the ingredients. Quality oil must not contain mineral supplements.
How to choose the right oil for your hair?
For guaranteed results, choose oil according to the type and structure of your hair.
- For oily hair, opt for argan, jojoba, almond, coconut, olive or flaxseed oil. These oils look after the hair without causing a build-up of oil.
- For normal hair, use jojoba, almond, sesame, olive and flaxseed oil. They give hair a healthy shine, nourish and moisturize it.
- For dry hair, argan, coconut, castor, mustard and olive oil are the best. They cope with dry and brittle hair, fix the split ends, give volume and shine.
The hair colour also matters. Thus, if blondes use castor oil for hair treatment, it is recommended to add to it some yolk or onion juice. This will enhance the hair colour and give it a beautiful golden shine. Almond oil is more suitable for brunettes.
What problems can be solved with plant oils?
Generally speaking, plant oils help stop hair loss, enhance growth, eliminate dandruff, fixe excessive oiliness or dryness problem. It is well known that burdock oil, if used during chemotherapy, protect hair follicles and allows the hair grow faster. It is also a great idea to use burdock oil during the holiday buy the sea, after going to the pool or dying hair.
Sunflower oil, as well as burdock, fights the excessive dryness of hair. This is an excellent nourishing and moisturizing agent that is suitable for all women, who often dye their hair, do perms or straighten them up.
Linseed oil is a must have in winter season. It protects hair from the frost, wind and temperature changes, it makes up for the lack of nutrients. The results will be visible in 2 weeks.
Almond oil successfully fights dandruff and seborrhea. And castor oil completely restores the hair structure and strengthens the follicles.
As you can see, any plant oil will be useful, if used properly.
Masks based on plant oils
The easiest way to go is to apply pure oil before washing hair. Argan oil can be used instead of your regular conditioner.
You can add a few drops of essential oil to your hair oil, warm in a water or steam bath, spread it along your hair, the effect will be the same as after salon hot wraps.
However masks remain the most popular way to look after hair at home.
Normal hair mask
1 tbsp. of each: any plant oil, honey and brandy, 1 egg yolk. Mix together and rub into the scalp, spread over the entire length, wrap the head with a towel and keep the mask for 40-60 minutes. Rinse with abundant amount of water.
Dry hair mask
1 tsp. honey of olive and linseed oil, 5 drops of vitamin A and E, 2 tsp. of aloe juice, 1 egg yolk.
Mix well, warm up and apply on hair, make sure not to forget the roots, leave on for 50-60 minutes, rinse.
Oily hair mask
2 tbsp. of each: burdock oil, water, dried mustard, mint, and essential oil of lemon, 1 egg yolk, liquid vitamin A and E.
Dissolve the mustard powder in water, add a raw egg yolk, oil and vitamins. Rub into the scalp, avoid spreading along the hair. Leave for 30-60 minutes, rinse.
Plant oil facts
The healing properties of plant oils have been known since ancient times. The main benefits of oils are as follows:
- Linseed oil has the high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids omega-3. They are essential for the human body but these acids cannot be produced by the organism internally.
- During the manufacturing process the oil temperature must not exceed +47 degrees, otherwise the product cannot not be called organic.
- Pumpkin seed oil contains a large amount of zinc. This element is particularly useful for skin and hair, as it actively participates in protein synthesis.
- Burdock oil is extracted from burdock root, not from thistles, as some may think. It is a valuable source of tannins and minerals needed for healthy hair.
- Jojoba contains as much of valuable nutrients as beeswax. It is produced from an evergreen shrub that grows in Argentina, Israel and Mexico. Jojoba oil residues were found in the tombs in Egypt. It is proved that the product keeps its beneficial properties for thousands of years.
- Argan oil is the most expensive one. To produce 1 litre of this product, 100 kg of argan tree kernels have to be processed manually. Argan tree grows only in one region of Morocco.
How to use plant oil to get the most benefits?
- For a maximum effect, warm up the oil on water bath, this will allow its quick absorption into the hair and scalp.
- Apply the oil on the scalp with massage movements.
- If you plan to mix oil with essential oils, before the first application do the allergy test. Put a drop of the mixture on your wrist. If, during half an hour, no allergies signs appear (burning, itching, redness), the formula can be used safely.
- A simple but effective way is to comb your hair with plant oil. Apply a little oil on the comb and comb your hair.
- If jojoba oil is mixed with grape seed oil and the mixture is applied onto the hair, it will make it even shinier, just like after the lamination.
- If you add to the oil raw egg yolk, the oil will be easier to wash off.
- Mustard powder also helps remove oil, however it should be used in small amounts, as it may irritate the scalp.
If you follow all these guidelines, you can quickly revitalize and restore even the most lifeless and dull hair.