Coconut oil is widely used in the food industry, medicine and cosmetology. Its benefits for health and beauty have been known for a long time. This precious oil is sold without additives, and it is especially beneficial for hair.
Coconut pulp is the raw material used in the production of coconut oil. The fruit needs ripen on the palm tree for at least a year.
The best coconut oil is produced in Thailand. The following methods are used.
- The hot pressing method. The pulp should be slightly dried.
- Cold pressing. This method allows to retain the maximum amount of nutrients.
Compared to purified coconut oil, unrefined oil is denser and has a distinct sweet aroma. Coconut oil changes its properties depending on temperature. At a temperature of 30°C, it becomes liquid and transparent. It melts in your hands. At lower temperatures, the oil is thick and white in color. Coconut oil is water soluble (it has to be mixed well with water).
Benefits of coconut oil on hair
Coconut oil quickly restores dry, brittle and damaged hair. It has moisturizing, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, nourishing and softening hair and scalp. Such a wide range of effects results from the unusual chemical composition of this product. Coconut oil consists of 95% fatty acids and 5% vitamins.
- Stearic acid. Moisturizes hair and creates a protective layer, eliminating the negative effects of the sun, wind and air. Stimulates the synthesis of collagen and elastin, eliminates the flaking of the scalp.
- Lauric acid. Slows down the aging, improves tissue regeneration, promotes healing of wounds.
- Caproic acid. Restores the cells in the deeper layers of the tissues, stimulates the production of collagen.
- Myristic acid. Provides transportation of nutrients to cells.
- Pantothenic acid. Improves the condition of the tissues, keeping them moisturized.
- Caprylic acid. Normalizes the acidity, enriches cells with oxygen.
- Vitamin E (Tocopherol). Improves blood flow, enriches hair follicles with oxygen and hydrates tissues.
- Vitamin A (Retinol). Stimulates the production of keratin, provides an anti-inflammatory effect, prevents hair splitting.
- Vitamin PP (Niacin). Prevents premature aging, stimulates cell division.
- Calcium. Strengthens the tissues, keeping them healthy and elastic.
- Cholecalciferol (vitamin D3). Prevents dandruff and hair loss, gives hair a healthy shine.
- Phosphorus. Makes hair elastic and prevents premature graying.
Thanks to such a large number of nutrients, coconut oil is widely used in the manufacture of creams, masks and other skin and hair care products.
Benefits of coconut oil on hair
In some countries, coconut oil is the most available and popular means for hair care. Its fast results are the main advantage of this product.
When will coconut oil be of help?
- Excessive hair breakage and dry hair resulting from frequent coloring, curling and straightening.
- Dull hair, lack of hair shine.
- Dandruff and other scalp disorders.
- Hair splitting.
Coconut oil moisturizes hair and scalp. After a few treatments, hair becomes more manageable, soft and radiant.
If you use 100% coconut oil without any additives, you will achieve the following results.
- Nourishment of hair and scalp with vitamins and minerals.
- Elimination of scalp inflammation, irritation and itching.
- Rapid hair growth, improvement of its structure.
- Hair loss prevention, strengthening of hair roots.
A course of coconut oil treatments makes hair less susceptible to aggressive environments and helps damaged hair recover faster.
How to choose the right type coconut oil and use it correctly
Fast and visible results are only guaranteed if you use unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil. This product is free from any harmful substances and is fully safe for health.
High-quality coconut oil has a light coconut aroma. Refined oil has no aroma. At temperatures below +25 the product becomes solid, but it does not affect its properties. It is recommended to make sure that the quality of the coconut oil is confirmed by certificates of international standard.
Allergies to coconut oil are extremely rare. To make sure you are not allergic to coconut oil, perform an allergy test by applying a little bit of oil on your wrist. If you do not experience any itching or irritation after 30 minutes, the product can be safely used. It is important to stick to these tips.
- Use only unrefined coconut oil without additives.
- If the consistency is solid, melt it using hot water or steam.
- You can add coconut oil to your shampoo or hair conditioner to achieve healthier hair.
- It can also be used as a hair mask. Massage the oil into the scalp, apply to ends of your hair and wrap your head with a towel. After 1-2 hours, wash it off with shampoo. Full hair restoration will require 10-15 treatments. Do not use pure coconut oil on oily hair.
- When on a seaside vacation, apply coconut oil to your hair to protect it from overdrying caused by saltwater.
Traditional recipes based on coconut oil
Coconut oil is suitable for both salon and home use. These simple recipes will help you restore your hair, making them healthier and more beautiful.
Treatment for split ends
Add 2 curry leaves to 4 tbsp of coconut oil and bring to boil. Let simmer 2 minutes. Apply the mixture to the ends of your hair, wrap your head with a towel and leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse well.
Quick hair restoration
Mix 2 tablespoons each of coconut oil, milk, and ground oatmeal. Apply to hair, wear a plastic cap and rinse with warm water after 30 minutes.
Treatment for hair loss
Mix 2 tbsp each of coconut oil and honey, add 2 drops of lavender oil and warm a little bit. Apply to slightly damp hair and wrap your head with a towel. Rinse after 1 hour.
Treatment for faster hair growth
Mash half a banana, add 2 tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp sour cream. Mix and warm slightly. Massage the mixture into the scalp and distribute some of it over your hair. Wear a plastic cap. Rinse with shampoo after 40 minutes.
Hair strengthening mask
Mix 100 ml coconut oil and 2 tbsp each of crushed rosemary and dried chamomile flowers. Put the mixture into a porcelain container and warm it with hot water for 30 minutes. Infuse for 24 hours, then strain, apply to hair and scalp and wash off after 2 hours.
Prevention of premature alopecia
Mix 2 tsp liquid coconut oil, 1 egg white, 1 tsp glycerol, and 0.5 tbsp apple vinegar. Apply to your hair and leave for 1 hour. Rinse with water without shampoo.
Hair treatments with coconut oil and other ingredients
Coconut oil can be mixed with other oils, including essential ones. If you mix them in right proportions, you will get an effective ‘cocktail’ for hair restoration.
Treatment for dry hair and split ends
Mix ⅓ teaspoon of coconut, almond, burdock and jojoba oils. Apply the mixture to hair ends at bedtime. In the morning, rinse with warm water and apply hair balm.
Restoring treatment for damaged hair
Mix 1 tsp each coconut oil and argan oil, 5 drops of vitamins A and E, and 1 drop each of ylang-ylang, rosemary, chamomile and grapefruit oils. Slightly warm the mixture and distribute it evenly over your hair and scalp. Cover your head with towel and rinse the mixture after 2 hours.
These treatments provide a strong effect, similar to the one you get after visiting an expensive beauty salon.